Saturday, August 25, 2012

Writing

I don't think I'm going to write the next best-selling novel to take the world by storm. I don't expect to become the next J. K. Rowling (and I don't want to be the next Stephanie Meyer or E. L. James, no matter how stinking rich they are). I do, however, think I am capable of putting pen to paper (and then fingers to keyboard) and creating a halfway enjoyable, mildly interesting book that I can self-publish via Amazon and make a few bucks from, while reveling in the fact that, in this day and age, I can get other people to pay money for a digital version of my writing without shelling out any cash up-front myself. Pretty cool.

So I've started writing again. Pretty much all of you (even if you know me really well) probably never knew that I used to write at all. I gave it several shots, and for the most part, I was creating facsimiles of my favorite genres at the time (which happened to be cheesy-camp-horror and a mild version of Gaiman fantasy). It was still a fun exercise in creating characters, settings, plots, and turns of phrase. I still have a large collection of my own writing, and although it makes me cringe to revisit it, it is interesting. (I mean, of course, that it is interesting to see how I used to write, not that it is interesting in a way that merits publication.)

Right now, I'm working on what seems to be I Am Legend, with multiple characters, most of whom will eventually intertwine. Oh and without the monsters/vampires/whatever you want to call them. Yeah, I'm not sure how well it'll turn out either. But it will be fun and interesting to try.

I'm sure "it's been done before." And I'm sure there are cliches and all sorts of other grievous writing faux pas, but I don't really care. Like I said, I'm not trying to be the next big thing. I just felt like writing, so I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment