Saturday, September 22, 2012

"International Book Week"

Social media memes. (Pronounced "meems." And I don't mean Forever Alone or Slenderman or Why Not Zoidberg.) How is it that the same "international _ week" happens three times a year? Didn't we just discuss "_ Day" and what you're supposed to do for it, like, last month? And why does everyone spread these things like wildfire without so much as Googling them?

I understand, though. Most of these things refer to good causes (terminal illnesses, unfortunate disorders, or helping kids / the elderly / the impoverished) or things we enjoy (reading, going outside, or decrying the use of the Oxford comma). So it doesn't matter whether it's actually "_ Day" or "_ Week" because even if it's not, we should celebrate or spread awareness or whatever we're being called upon to do in the name of the cause.

I still look it up, though. It must be my librarian-ness. (Librarianity?)

That's why, yesterday, I posted the following status: "It's not actually International Book Week, because there is no such thing, unless the prevalence of this meme creates it, but this game is fun, so I'm in. The rules: Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 52, post the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the title. Copy the rules as part of your status." (And I followed it with the fifth sentence from the 52nd page of the book nearest me.)

A lot of friends have liked it and commented on it (most of whom had already posted their own) so I assume that I didn't offend anyone. I would bet that if I did this for something attached to a disease or disorder or military branch or religion, people would get mad at me. But since pulling a quote out of a book in an arbitrarily specific way to promote reading doesn't hurt anyone, this is a fairly fun way to poke at the Facebook-spread memes.

No comments:

Post a Comment