Sunday, October 21, 2012

Library Holds

Until recently, I had never put a book (or anything) on hold at the public library, despite having used that same library for the past twenty years.

When I went to pick up the book I put on hold before, it blew my mind that the hold shelf was self-service. (That's not how we do things at academic libraries, usually.)

And now I just want to marvel for a moment at how unbelievably easy it is to put a book on hold. I went from finding out the title of the book I needed to put on hold to having it in the system in about 45 seconds. Granted, I use a library catalog literally every day, and I have my library card on a keychain attached to my ID holder, which is currently on my belt loop, so it was easy to log in, but still... pretty impressive.

I know I never had to use a card catalog or microfilm or subject indexes or any of the old-school library resources, but I still appreciate how easy we have it now. (Fun fact: the public library's catalog will even send you a text message with the call number of the book you're looking at if you ask it to. That way, you don't have to find paper and pen and write it down before you go to the shelf!)

PS - The book I'm putting on hold? Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres, for our review on 11/2!

No comments:

Post a Comment