Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Overload

People are always asking me "how do you do it?" I work over 60 hours a week at three different jobs, I'm always crafting and joining craft swaps, plus all my side projects like blogs and whatever else I happen to want to dabble in at the moment. The usual answer is just, I do it. I have momentum. I'm constantly busy, so being busy is normal for me.

But sometimes, I don't just do it. I lose momentum or I take on too much and I get overwhelmed. I still usually manage to get almost everything done (although usually there is a delay, or the quality suffers) but I go crazy doing it.

Now is one of those times.

I guess I probably lost some momentum with the four days off from all work for Thanksgiving, but if I hadn't had those four days, I would be completely burned out and probably wouldn't even be able to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Mostly, this time, I just took on too many projects.

Birk knows this; he hates when I join a new craft swap because he knows it's one more thing I don't need to work on that just adds onto the pile of stuff I have to get done. Lucky for him (and me) I'm shipping for three swaps tomorrow and I'll only be in one, which is a very low-stress, long-term swap that I'm really enjoying being in.

So, long story short, I need to learn how to say no to myself. Sure, that swap would be really fun to join... if I had time to enjoy it. I'd love to start another blog... if I had time to enjoy it. Of course I'd like to learn that skill... if I had time to enjoy it.

Looks like I have a new mantra... "Will I have time to enjoy it?"

Also, since I haven't been posting my NaNoWriMo daily counter, here is an update:

NaNoWriMo counter: 46,207 words (92.414%)

(I know it seems oxymoronic to talk about how I shouldn't be taking on new projects, then brag about my NaNoWriMo word count, but NaNo is something I really enjoy, doesn't actually take that much time, and it has not added to my stress. In fact, it's something I have worked on when I'm trying to avoid thinking about the things that stress me out currently. So maybe I'm using it as a procrastination tool, but if that's really the case, then I don't need to worry about that after Friday, because it will be over after then.)

No comments:

Post a Comment