Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It was awesome.


I could really just leave it at that, but to expound a little...

I don't like 3D, as a general rule. I don't think I've actually watched a 3D movie since I went to that Muppets thing as a kid (which, for the record, terrified me, but I was eight, so give me a break). But this was exactly what I expected from Peter Jackson and his crew. For as many swords as there are in this movie, not once do I recall any of them being waved at my face in a hokey, cheesy way. Mostly, the 3D was used to visually say, "Hey, look at this beautiful setting; doesn't it feel like you're really sitting here with us?" And also a fair bit of "run away, scary things are after us!"

It's more light-hearted than the other three movies (which it's supposed to be) but I like the serious, intense investment I feel with the others. So, no, I don't like it more than the original trilogy.

The music was not as moving as I expected it to be (if it can't make me cry on command the way the J. J. Abrams Star Trek opening sequence music can, it isn't moving enough) but it was very nice. And "Misty Mountains" will be stuck in my head for approximately the next year.

Weird fact that I just stumbled upon while looking for a photo: The guy who plays Kili is three years younger than me.

Side note, because I was thinking about the Bechdel test yesterday anyway: It's laughable to even put The Hobbit and the Bechdel test in the same sentence, considering there's one female character with a name or lines in the entire film (and none in the book). But that has no bearing whatsoever on its quality. (Seriously, that's not what the Bechdel test is about. It's just to get people thinking about gender portrayal in media.)


As close as you get to passing the Bechdel test in The Hobbit:
Galadriel talking to the man with long hair in the long robe.


No comments:

Post a Comment