Monday, January 14, 2013

RIP Zaphod

During my sophomore year at CNU, I had three awesome roomies: Kat, Beth, and Audrey. One day, Kat told me that the Horticulture Club was having a plant sale, and we should go support them by buying some plants to spruce up our dorm room.

We selected the peace lily, because we were told that it is ridiculously easy to care for. (This is important; remember this.) We also thought it would be nice for us to have one for each roommate; that way, we could each take ours with us in future moves, and always have our sibling plants. What a cute idea!

On the way back to the dorms, we got a little silly and started naming the plants. I was really into Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the time, so I named mine Zaphod, after Zaphod Beeblebrox. I subsequently named Audrey's plant Arthur (after Arthur Dent), Beth's was Marvin (after the Paranoid Android), and Kat's was Ford (after Ford Prefect).

Fittingly, Beth's plant Marvin died first. He lived perhaps a week or two at the most. I'm not entirely sure he was ever watered. It was unfortunate.

Kat's was, I believe, the next to go, followed by Audrey's.

This all took place during the school year of 2005-2006. It is now 2013, and I have finally laid Zaphod to rest, after a period of several months where his leaves got browner and browner, and I failed to water him more often than not.

I know it's a little silly to mourn a plant, but I thought everyone would want to know that Zaphod is no longer with us, because we're all weirdly attached to him, a little.

R.I.P. Zaphod (2005-2013)
(Not Zaphod)

No comments:

Post a Comment