Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Vacation: Paris, Day 6

Paris, Day 6

To get some different shots of the Eiffel Tower, we started at Trocadero Gardens.


On our way to our next stops, we went through the Concorde metro station, which - on one platform - looks like this:

Check out the letters to the right of my head.
I honest-to-goodness don't know if the tile right behind
my head is an A, but let's pretend it is.
Outside of that stop is the Obelisk, which was originally erected at the Luxor Temple in Egypt. Louis-Phillippe had it brought to France, and it was placed in the Place de la Concorde in 1833. (Birk bought the beret for his international hat collection. I told him to put it on for the photo. I think he wanted that on the record.)



From there, we entered the Tuileries (gardens, not the palace) and wandered around that for a bit. We got to the other end and realized the Louvre was right there (I thought it would be further down the Seine).



No, we did not go into the Louvre. It wasn't high enough on our priority list to make the cut this time, so I guess we'll just have to go back to France! Darn...



We went back through the Tuileries to get lunch at a little stand (sandwich and Coke) and we both used a pay toilet. (Not something I would normally mention but... pay toilets. Not my favorite thing in France.)

We left the Tuileries and walked down the Seine, stopping to check out Pont Neuf and Pont de l'Archeveche (the new most-popular place for love locks).

We did not add one, but I considered it.
Then we continued on to the Ile de la Cite, where we found the Conciergerie. That's the prison that has held lots of famous people, but most notably, Marie Antoinette before her beheading. (I promise that I tried to take a photo of her cell, but I couldn't get it quite right, and it's all done up as a reconstruction which I never like anyway.)

Birk said the hall of the Conciergerie looked like Moria.
I don't disagree with that statement.
Right next door to the Conciergerie is the entrance to the Palais, inside of which you can find La Sainte-Chappelle (the Holy Chapel) which holds the most stunning display of stained glass windows you can find anywhere. My photos really don't do it justice, and you'd be better off finding Elaine's photos or just Googling it. It's just incredible.

It doesn't look half as impressive here as it does in real life. Not even 1/4 as much.
(This was the number four thing on my must-see list, and I'm so glad we went. It was soooo beautiful.)

Then we went to see the Notre Dame, which is of course large and beautiful and the bells started ringing after we got there, which is pretty cool.



The very eyes of Notre Daaaaaaaaaaame!
(Don't get it? Go watch Hunchback of Notre Dame. RIGHT NOW. DO IT.)
We went back to the apartment after that, and went to dinner at Pain Quotidien on the corner. (It's a chain that can be found in the US too, but it was still very French.) We both had tartines (open faced sandwiches). Birk had a very good beer that I swear I only photographed to see if we could find it when we got home:


 And we finished the night with Christopher's recommendation of crepe: beurre et sucre (butter and sugar)!


OM NOM NOM



No comments:

Post a Comment