Friday, October 11, 2013

Doing vs. Getting Done

How is it that everyone always seems so busy but never seems to get anything done? I finally have the answer: doing things and getting things done don't have to have anything to do with each other.

See, right now, I am doing something. I am thinking critically and typing and blogging and also laughing at the cat because he's sitting on the desk licking his butt and it's funny.

But what I need to get done does not include any of those things. (Well, I do try to laugh at the cat at least once a day, but it's not really on the to-do list.) I need to do laundry, dishes, vacuum, clear off the living room table, take out the trash, find a good tailor, work on a Powerpoint presentation, move that box to the outside storage, read three books, find the charger cord to my iPod shuffle, return a text message... you get the point.

I'm always doing things. Even if I'm in the shower or on the computer goofing off or watching Netflix, I'm doing something. My mind is active and my body usually is too in some way (walking, typing, etc.) Even going to bed and falling asleep is doing something (although, to be fair, I'd consider that getting things done too, because I do require sleep in order to get anything else done the following day... it's like a getting things done prerequisite, which in itself counts as a thing that got done).

I'm thinking that, if I stop doing things constantly, and take just a few minutes every once in a while to not do anything (not just not get things done but to not be doing anything) it would be nice. And maybe once I returned to doing things after a short period of not doing anything, more of the doing would contribute to getting things done because there would be less time for doing without getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment