Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What Are Snow?


Like any 20-something Virginia Beach native, I have no earthly idea what a foot of snow looks and feels like.

I went to Snowshoe Mountain one time, so I've seen a foot of snow... on a mountain... while I was strapped to a snowboard. And that's a time when you hope there's at least a foot of snow, because you don't want to fall as many times as I did without a lot of powder to catch you.

But I don't know what a foot of snow looks like next to my car, for example, or on my balcony, or compared to my cat. I can hardly fathom taking out the trash in a foot of snow, or how long it takes a foot of snow to melt (even in our back-and-forth weather here where it will be back in the 50s F by the weekend... which seems like a long time for us).

I don't think we'll get a foot of snow. I think we might get half a foot of snow. But two inches is all it takes to shut down Hampton Roads, so six will be quite a thing to see. (I think that's what we got during Snowpocalypse in 2009... Yeah, I'm from an area where half a foot of snow registers as "snowpocalypse.")

Side note: Europeans say that one of the easiest ways to spot an American is to listen for us to use grandiose adjectives to describe ordinary things. ("This beer is amazing!" and "How incredible is it that the metro is on time?") I think that calling a fairly basic - albeit heavy - winter storm "snowpocalypse" and "snowmageddon" kind of confirms that stereotype, don't you? While I hesitate to use the Weather Channel's names for winter storms, if it's going to be a big one, we might as well go for it. So this is not snowzilla... it's Leon. (The Professional. Sweet.)

Another side note: Dogeweather is amazing and I love it and I don't know how long it'll be around, but for now it's the most fun way to check the current local weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment