Sunday, August 24, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

We did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! For the unaware and for posterity, this is what I'm talking about: someone who does the challenge nominates you (and a couple other people). Then, you have the choice to either donate $10 to ALS (amyotropic lateral sclerosis) research and dump a bucket of ice water over your head, or donate more (I've heard varying rules, from $25 to $100 or more).

Jake nominated Birk, but since we have the same name, I decided to do it as well (as if we didn't know which Alex Birk he was talking about). But only Birk nominated people. The video is below:

video

Yeah, it's kind of chilly out tonight for an August evening... That was really cold.

Anyway, I'm about to go to alsa.org to make our donations, but I wanted to post the video here first.

On a side note, I wanted to mention that I've never been given a reason to donate to ALS research before. I donate to cancer research because I know/knew people with cancer. I donate to AIDS research because I know someone who works with AIDS research. I've never been asked to donate to ALS research before. Now I have (albeit indirectly by piggy-backing on Birk's nomination) and so I am. EVMS recently did their challenge and the doctor who spoke at the beginning of the video made an excellent point... ALS research won't just benefit finding a cure or treatment for ALS... it will help with other conditions like Huntington's. It could help with something entirely unrelated, too... you know how sometimes scientists are looking for one thing and they wind up stumbling across a totally different thing? Who knows when/where that might happen? So yes, I dumped ice water on my head and posted a video of it online, but more importantly, I'm donating to an important cause that I recognize as important without having any emotional ties to it, and asking others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment